A seasoned attorney with over 20 years of legal experience, Mr. Rosander brings both breadth and depth to our team. His professional endeavors run the gamut of employ—working for “Big Law” and smaller “Boutique” law firms to his in-house corporate experience with large global high-tech companies and smaller financial institutions. Early in his carrier, he utilized his technical background by focusing on Intellectual Property law; however, his love for learning later lead him to hone his skills in more general areas of legal practice including contracts, corporate structures, commercial papers and securities, real-estate law, civil procedure, and other jurisprudence.
Juris Doctorate, The George Washington University of Law School, Washington, D.C.
- Two Term Judicial intern for the Honorable R. Rader, Chief Justice for the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Full-time patent agent while attending law school.
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, cum laude, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Honors & Awards:
- Ranked No. 2 in Class of ’99
- College of Eng. Student Leadership Award ‘99;
- Outstanding Student Award from Dept. Faculty ‘99;
- District & Regional IEEE Paper Contest Winner ‘99; and
- Full Honors Scholarships ‘96-’99.
- IEEE President ‘98/‘99;
- Tau Beta Pi President ‘98; and
- College Council Representative ’99.
2/ Legal Experience
Rosander IP Law, San Jose, CA
- Intellectual property counsel for individual inventors and various high tech companies.
- Provided complete IP prosecution, portfolio management, and litigation support.
- Advised a client on freedom to operate and IP issues associated with their development and worldwide sales of high frequency reed relays and interconnect products.
- Developed a subscription funded, public interest group—designed to reduce litigation costs, avoid conflicts, and mitigate inherent pitfalls of inter partes reexamination proceedings.
Diversified Financial Services Group, Inc., Alameda, CA
- Managed operations and legal matters for the commercial real estate investment company.
- Revised all existing legal documents including: LOIs, NDAs, Employment agreements, etc.
- Drafted and negotiated engagement, LOI, & JV agreements for deals totaling over $300 M.
Senior IP Counsel
Huawei, Santa Clara, CA
- General IP counsel, patent portfolio management, and litigation support.
- Facilitated monthly patent review board (PRB) meetings for various business units (BUs).
- Provided guidance and counseling in numerous “think tank” and “patent mining” sessions.
- Identified and prosecuted “important” and “standard essential” patent applications.
- Monitored performance of outside counsel for prosecution of US patent applications.
Morrison & Foerster, L.L.P., Palo Alto, CA
- Litigation support for defendant in Global Comm., Inc. v. Dish Network Corp., et al. (N.D. Fla.).
- Assisted in substantive document review, claim construction brief, legal defenses, and production findings in preparation of FRCP 30(b)(6) witnesses.
White & Case, L.L.P., Palo Alto, CA
- Complex litigation, IP licensing, advisement, and transactional support for Cisco Systems, Marvell, Lucas Films, Aten Tech., ASUSTeK, Facebook, and Trek.
- Performed patent valuation for the acquisition and sales of various IP assets.
- Organized a high tech patent portfolio for advisement regarding competitor enforcement.
Workman | Nydegger, Salt Lake City, UT
- Intellectual property counsel for Microsoft, Abbott Labs, ICON Health and Fitness, Lifetime Products, Finisar, and Flying J.
- Specialized in foreign patent prosecution for all Microsoft matters handled by the firm.
- Drafted over 150 patent applications and prosecuted over 500 foreign and domestic cases.
Burns, Doane, Swecker & Mathis, L.L.P., Alexandria, VA
- Patent prosecutor and litigation support for Ericsson, Apple, and Monsanto.
- Focused on telecommunication and computer related technology.
S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Washington, DC
- Appellate review, analysis, and judicial advisement on assigned cases by: summation of legal briefs and related law; recommendation of legal outcomes; attendance of oral hearings; discussions of post-hearing deliberations; and draft assistance with initial per curium opinions.